STRONGER TOGETHER: HAVE THE OVARIAN CANCER CONVERSATION. WE DID!
February was Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month, and as part of our Mount Gravatt Mazda Wellness Program, we jumped on the teal train to help raise awareness amongst our team and community of the most underfunded and deadliest female cancer in Australia.
Some of the most common signs and symptoms include:
- Increased abdominal size or persistent abdominal bloating
- Abdominal or pelvic (lower tummy) pain
- Feeling full after eating a small amount
- Needing to urinate often or urgently
"If by raising awareness we can help prevent all the wonderful women in our life and community from going through the devastating journey of Ovarian Cancer, we will.
Twice as many people know that the Teal Ribbon is for ovarian cancer than they did 2-3 years ago. However, compared to pink meaning breast cancer we are only at around 30 % of the awareness that they have so there is still a lot of work to do. We need to help change the story for future generations.”
Julian Mason | Dealer Principal
Unlike other cancers, there’s no early detection tests so it’s important to talk to your GP about these and other unusual symptoms.
Whilst the exact causes of most ovarian cancers are unknown, the following may increase your risk:
- Increasing Age, especially post-menopausal
- Genetics account for approximately 20% of ovarian cancers.
- History of endometriosis, previous breast cancer or diabetes
- Use of hormone replacement therapy (HRT)
- Being overweight
- Not having had children – women who have not had children are at a slightly higher risk
So as with many cancers, being aware of your body and following a healthy diet and lifestyle may make a difference to your longevity.
To find out more speak to your GP or check out: www.ovariancancer.net.au
Start the conversation today – it could save a life.