This week marks the 20 year anniversary of Harmony Day, a day dedicated to celebrating Australia’s cultural diversity and sharing what we have in common.
Harmony Day is about cultural respect and inclusiveness for everyone who calls Australia home – Australia is a vibrant and multicultural country, from the oldest continuous cultures of our first Australians to the cultures of our newest arrivals from all around the world. With 49% of Australian's born overseas* our cultural diversity is one of our greatest strengths and is at the heart of who we are. It makes Australia a great place to live.
At MGM, we encourage everyone to appreciate and celebrate the diversity in our community and acknowledge that many areas of our business benefit from the richness of our cultural diversity.
So today we want to showcase and acknowledge our cultural diversity:
Here are some fun facts and figures that contribute to our enriched nation:
- Nearly half (49 per cent*) of Australians were born overseas or have at least one parent who was
- We identify with over 300 ancestries
- Since 1945, more than 7.5 million people have migrated to Australia
- 85 per cent of Australians agree multiculturalism has been good for Australia
- Apart from English, the most common languages spoken in Australia are Mandarin, Arabic, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Italian, Greek, Tagalog/Filipino, Hindi, Spanish and Punjabi
- More than 70 Indigenous languages are spoken in Australia.
Fact source: Australian Bureau of Statistics.